Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Sunday in New York City

Hi All,

Well, I am not a big celebratant of Easter, but I must say, it was fun to be here in New York on that day.


Started with breakfast at Bagel Bob's - "Everything baked on the premises" - and there is nothing better (well, almost) than a bagel with lox and cream cheese in New York City. My mouth is watering as I write this, so I may have to go back for another one today.


Then we hopped a city bus and headed down to Greenwich (pronounced gren'-itch) Village, which is farther south on "the island." Yes, that's right, I'm actually staying on an island! It's much bigger than Harriet Island there in St. Paul, but Manhattan is one of the 5 burroughs (or parts) of New York City - kind of like East St. Paul, West St. Paul, etc. are separate areas of St. Paul, but everything is still really "St. Paul" - except each of the different parts of New York City is HUGE, and the part I am staying on, Manhattan, is an island. Cool, huh?! No, I am not sitting by the ocean on my towel watching the waves roll in over my toes. You will just have to go to Manhatten sometime to see what it's like!


Man with potted
plant bonnet
Ms. Lucas and 2 girls
with Easter bonnets
Anyway, on our way to Greenwich Village, we noticed a bunch of people gathering, so we hopped off the bus to investigate. It turned out to be the Easter Day Parade! The city closes 5th Avenue, one of the busiest streets in the city, for a few hours, and people walk up and down the street in their Easter finery, including Easter bonnets (which is a fancy word for hat). Here are a couple of pictures of some of the more unusual bonnets I saw. I jumped in to the picture with the girls on the right, and it turned out that the shorter girl is a 4th grader here in New York City on the island of Manhattan!

Jim and Jo Ann Lucas,
my mom and dad
Oh, and here is the picture I promised of my mom and dad. Next time you walk past my room there at Frost Lake, take a look at the black and white picture of the two adults with a baby. Well, that is the very same mom and dad that you are looking at right here in this picture. And the baby? Well, you must know who that is! :-)

Take good care everyone. More soon -

Ms. Lucas (Sandy :-)

Grand Central Station,
New York


P.S. Remember that story we read about Herbert Fieldmouse, Secret Agent, and how he went to a train station? Well, does this picture look familiar? It reminded me of that.

11 comments:

  1. WE HOPE U
    FEEL BETTER MRS LUCAS WE MISS U!!!
    by gaoshouaka xiong

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel better
    by gaoshouaka xiong:}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,
    So happy to see you out and about enjoying the sights and tastes of New York! Your recovery looks like it's going very well- better than I expected! New York is very exiting but you'll want to be here to smell the lilacs when they bloom.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, glad you are well enough to be out of the hospital. I hope that your lungs get better and your get stronger soon. My kids miss you. we are going to look at your blog and write you note tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms.Lucas I will be moving away because I am buying free land to buld a house cause my dad is buying free land to buld a house. I will miss you alot ms.Lucas. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEAR MS.LUCAS,
    HOW ARE YOU DOING THERE?I HOPE YOU HAVE A GRATE TIME...I MISS YOU SO MUCH.WAS IT NICE OUT THERE?
    MS.KLUXDAL CLASS MISS YOU ALOT.:( HOW MUCH
    CHOCOLATE DID YOU EAT? I HOPE ALOT.
    TALK TO YOU LATER BYE MISS YOU SO MUCH
    YOUR STUDENT,
    EH RE NOH
    SAY
    I WISH YOU AER HERE WITH ME IN SCHOOL:) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms.Lucas i miss u very much i want u too come back to MN and how is new york? i will always do do what u say


    love,
    Dua-Ci Yang

    ReplyDelete
  8. DEAR MS.LUCAS we met JOHN COY ON TUESDAY!!!. He said it took about 6years to make a picture book and 2 years to make a chapter

    ReplyDelete
  9. we miss you come back!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Ms.Lucas how are you doing in New York is it fun? are you enjoying it there? we all MISS YOU! Hope to see you next year in 5 grade!


    Kaozer Yang

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello how are you good,fine,bad,very bad,really bad im glad you had sugery now is the time because i said im glad u had sugery because so u can get fix and have promles oh i amost forgot THANK YOU FOR i love Ny shirt im so suprise you bought all the 4th graders i love ny.....BY SAVANNA

    ReplyDelete